LORAN STATION FREDERIKSDAL
59 58.3N – 44 38.7W Mar 1949 Op Data Report
59 59 17.71 N 44 39 14.54 W
|Site Survey:||10 AUG 1942
|Construction Date||11 NOV 1942 – Mar 1943
|Constructed by:||Radiation Laboratory - Contractors
|Operated by:||USCG, 1943 – 18 SEP 1951
Demark, 18 SP 1951 – 31 DEC 1983
|Station Letter designation:||1L2/1L4 “N”
|Station code name:||NAN
|Station Unit Number:||CG Unit No. 7 Navy 226
|Station nickname:||LIBA, NARSAK
|On-air testing date:||11 MAR 1943
|Operational date:||1L4, 15 JAN 1944
|Operations Ceased:||1L4, 1961
1L2, 31 DEC 1983
|Station Operation:||Single MASTER
|Station pair:||1L4, 1L2 - BATTLE HARBOR|
|Loran Rate:||1L4, 1L2|
|On-Air:||11 MAR 1943
|Off-Air||31 DEC 1983
|Miscellaneous:||27 FEB 1950 - Station in Standby Status because of
reconstruction of Battle Station - fire destroyed the
|Commanding Officers /
Officers in Charge
1st CO: LTJG W P Clark 1942 - AUG 1943
The photos below were located at NARA Washington, DC
(U.S. Coast Guard Official photos)
The next seven photos are from June 1947
Below photos from 1 MAR 1949 Operational Data Report
(U.S. Coast Guard official photos)
Loran site as seen from the side of the mountain, east of the station
South shore of station
Loran site as viewed from Raritan Point
Garage, Generator, Boiler and Main buildings. Quonset in middle background.
Rear view of Main building. Mountains across the fjord in the background
South shore view of Garage, Generator, Boiler Room and Main Buildings.
SE view of crew's barracks, south wing, the office, galley, CO's qtrs, the north wing
North side of Main building as seen in road leading to the skidway.
SE side of LORAN shack. Beverage antenna and fjord in the background
South side of LORAN Shack. Loran antenna and doghouse in the foreground.
Beverage antenna as seen looking to westward. Loran shack and
communications receiving antenna poles to the left
North side view of Quonset
ETs digging up the water line during a recent freeze
Three 5000 gal fuel tanks, paint locker in the foreground, beverage antenna
and harbor in the background
View of 3 5000 gal fuel tanks after fueling. Beverage ant in the background.
Close-up of 3 5000 gal fuel tanks. Loran shack and beverage ant in the background.
South view of 3 5000 gal fuel tanks
View of harbor and fjord
Top of skidway. Frederiksdal village can be seen directly over surveyed tractor.
View down towards the beach from the top of the skidway.
General Purpose Hoist and Crane formerly used for unloading.
Not used due to erosion of unloading ramp.
General Purpose Hoist and Crane, located near skidway
General Purpose Hoist as viewed from top the crane
The below photos were contributed by Ivan Carlsson
Coast Guard Inspection Team
The below photos are of the transfer of station operation to Denmark c./1951
Hoisting the Danish Flag
Hoisting the Danish Flag
Locals attending the transfer of station
The Generator Room c./1951