Cape Sarichef was the home to both a Loran Monitor Station during the 1940's.
1943 - 04 DEC 1944
LMS CAPE SARICHEF
A Loran Monitor Station was established on Unimak Island, Alaska in 1943. It was built in close proximity of the Cape Sarichef Lighthouse. The logic was to save time in construction of crew's quarters. The crew would quartered at the lighthouse and a loran monitor hut was built.
22 JUN 1949 - 30 JUN 1979
LTS CAPE SARICHEF
The Loran Transmitting Station was established in June 1949. It was the SLAVE/SECONDARY station to ADAK (M) of the Aleutian Chain. This chain replaced the Western Aleutian Chain. In March 1950 the Bering Sea Chain (St. Paul/Umnak) was disestablished. The Aleutian Chain provided coverage of the Bering Sea.
Note: Station automated. New light on steel structure. The old light, the radio beacon and fog horn was discontinued. The lighthouse structure was demolished in 1999.
CG Restricted Duty Ribbon