Loran Equipment Banner

CAPE SARICHEF

Cape Sarichef was the home to both a Loran Monitor Station during the 1940's. It approximate location was near the lighthouse as the lighthouse quarter the crew.

1943 - ?
LMS CAPE SARICHEF

A Loran Monitor Station was established on Unimak Island, Alaska in 1943. It was built in close proximity of the Cape Sarichef Lighthouse. The logic was to save time in construction of crew's quarters. The crew would quartered at the lighthouse and a loran monitor hut was built.

Note: The lighthouse was rebuilt in 1950 near the Loran Station.

image

 

22 JUN 1949 - 30 JUN 1979
LTS CAPE SARICHEF

The Loran Transmitting Station was established in Jun 1949. It became the SLAVE Station to ADAK. The chain was known as the Aleutian Chain replacing the Western Aleutian Chain. The following year the Bering Sea Chain was disestablished and the Aleutian Chain provided coverage of the Bering Sea.

Note: Station automated. New light on steel structure. The old light, the radio beacon andfog horn was discontinued. The lighthouse structure was demolished in 1999.

image

 

CG Restricted Duty Ribbon

image